13 Dog Training Tips Every Dog Owner Needs to Know
Is your dog perfectly behaved? Ahh I wish. Mine is not but a girl can dream. I'll bet you might feel the same. If so, then you know how important it is to socialize your pup early on. Socializing your dog will help them become more confident and comfortable around other dogs and people. It’s also an excellent way for them to learn good behavior! Here are some tips that can help make the process easier on both of you.
- Make sure they have plenty of time outside every day – this will allow them to interact with new things in their environment as well as get exercise which is very important for all dogs!
- Take them to a safe, enclosed park – this will allow you to keep close tabs on your pup but still let them have some dog play time. Make sure the space is not too crowded though!
- Let other people interact with your pups – taking a walk everyday where strangers may be outside will help them get used to new people while also allowing them to get some good exercise!
- Always have treats on you – wherever you go, have treats on hand just in case your doggy has a little mishap. Treats are great training tools too so having them on you will be very helpful!
- Let them sniff around sometimes - giving your pup some space to wander about will allow them to explore their surroundings more closely. Just make sure you are watching so they don't wander too far!
- Be patient – don’t force your pup into any situation where they might feel uncomfortable or scared.
- Don’t be afraid to ask for help – if you are having trouble socializing your dog, don’t be shy about asking for help. There are many trainers out there that may be able to offer assistance!
- Be consistent – it is equally as important to keep up with the training even after they have learned, so make sure to continue the same training every day and keep up with your walks.
- Keep training sessions short but frequent – if you only train once a week, it may take months before your pup learns anything useful! Try keeping your training sessions short and sweet, but do it multiple times a day.
- Make sure to always reward good behavior – if you ignore the bad and only praise the good, your dog is bound to repeat whatever they did that was rewarded more often! Try taking note of every single time your pup does something right and then offer them
- Don’t punish bad behavior – if your dog gets too excited when meeting another animal or person, just ignore him until he calms down enough that he can pay attention again. Punishing them will only make them afraid of you, which is the exact opposite result you are trying to get!
- Try using positive reinforcement – this method focuses on rewarding your dog for what they do right instead of punishing them for what they did wrong. It’s much easier and more effective in most cases!
- Have fun! You should enjoy yourself while socializing your pet because it makes the experience much better for everyone involved!
I hope these tips will help you get started! Socializing your dog is an important part of raising them into a mature and well-rounded adult. If you’re looking for more suggestions or ideas, then feel free to read through our blog. We have a lot of helpful articles that can help you with all dog-related questions, from training them to feeding them!