DIY Homemade Frozen Yogurt Treat for Dogs
When I got my dog, she constantly wanted attention. If I ignored her, then I'd later find her chewing something (I'd pray it wasn't my shoe), & she wouldn't leave me alone in the house.
I was excited if I got 10-15 mins of relaxation.
Basically, I would do anything to keep her occupied...which is the reason I invested in so many bones. The bones are great but the costs add up & they aren't the best for a dog's teeth.
My vet told me that dental surgery for dogs can cost up to $10,000 when they get older. What a nightmare.
Then I got the best advice I'd ever received (to this day) from a dog trainer.
It's called...frozen yogurt & is only ONE ingredient. Amen! I'll tell you step-by-step how I make my dog's frozen yogurt. I batch it 1x per week, which carries us through everyday of the entire week.
Unsweetened greek or regular yogurt
- Fruits or veggies (carrots, peas, blueberries)
- Peanut butter or almond butter
- Shredded cheese
- Bone broth (without onion or garlic)
- Bacon bites or shredded chicken
- Reuse 6 oz yogurt containers, a tiny dish, or silicone cupcake liners & spoon the yogurt into them.
- The trick is to spread the yogurt along the sides so it takes longer for your dog to lick.
- Add the optional toppings if you want to.
- Put everything on a tray & freeze. You don't need a tray if you only have a couple to throw in. The tray is optional but helpful.
- Also, optional, you can sprinkle in a little water to also freeze with it, to take your dog longer to finish it.
- Everything should freeze within 1-2 hours.
Ready to go! Your dog will LOVE you for it.
It's the easiest & healthiest treat I've ever made.
Why is frozen yogurt healthy for dogs?
If you're still not convinced, then let's talk about the health benefits to frozen yogurt. Yogurt is low in sugar, low in fat, and high in calcium. Frozen yogurt is also a good source of probiotics, which are beneficial bacteria that help with gut health. Probiotics can also help improve your dog's immune system.
Yogurt is very beneficial for your dog. It contains healthy bacteria, such as lactobacillus and bifidus, which can help prevent intestinal upset and diarrhea. Yogurt also aids in digestion by balancing the pH level of your pet's digestive tract. This helps with the absorption of nutrients and vitamins from food.
Our frozen yogurt recipe is made purely from unsweetened greek yogurt & then you can add fruit or veggies to make it a supercharged healthy frozen treat for your dog with benefits that you can see in the color of their poop.
Will frozen yogurt make my dog sick?
As long as frozen yogurt is made with low fat or non-fat frozen yogurt, your pet should not get an upset stomach. If your dog has any food allergies, you may want to avoid frozen yogurt that contains berries because it can cause allergic reactions in some dogs. You will also want to test your dog's tolerance of frozen yogurt. Offer your dog a small amount at first to ensure that he/she does not have any digestive issues with it.
I hope you and your dog both love it. This is such a time & money saver that you can make every single day.